Sunday 27 April 2014

Go set my people free.

When I talk of the pain and suffering in this world and the need for us fellow  humans to help alleviate it, I am sometimes misunderstood. The misunderstanding is this. Such thoughts are relegated to the realm of social justice. Somehow social justice and spiritual renewal are widely thought off as two worthy but parallel streams. And as with all things parallel - they don't meet!

Needless to say, I don't think that they are mutually exclusive.

The real reason that people are falling away from faith and that church attendances are dwindling is because the value of subscribing to a faith/ any faith, is dwindling and faith in itself is becoming irrelevant in a persons day to day life. Man is finding fewer things that he needs to ask God for divine intervention, miracles are becoming irrelevant amidst aplenty, and man is becoming more self sufficient and has realised that he can live a moral and humane life without the crutches of a religion.
The spectre of hell, hellfire and the afterlife no more scares him.

The main regions of the world where religions are growing are the developing nations where there are many physical needs and wants, plenty of superstitions, and where miracles are needed.

Having been in the charismatic renewal since the age of 12 and having listened to innumerable evangelisers across the world over the years I pondered these and other questions in my heart. I have truly questioned and challenged my faith.  I have become my own and my faiths best critic. I see that the folly is not wilful, but merely a learned condition transmitted from generation to generation. We fear to look at the truth and to question our faith for we are not sure if what we find will shake our beliefs.

My faith and life crisis took me into a dark place from where with my heavenly Fathers guidance I re-learnt the gospel.But not as anyone else taught it - only as my Lord wanted me to know it. The gospel and the word of God became the nidus of my liberation. The new gospel revelation taught me the power of the human person and that true empowerment is not only possible but also the key element to a living and relevant faith. The transformation was from a very physical entity into a spiritual entity who loved God and received from him the right currency of love with which to build all other relationships. The journey of liberation and freedom was a long one but a necessary one.
This journey can be replicated. And this gospel of transformation will be lived. For that is His will.


Please use the comments section to share your thoughts.


No comments: